Monday, October 04, 2004

In the Family Way

Of all the euphemisms, that you don't have to use anymore because people aren't afraid to say, 'pregnant,' I think my favorite is, "In the family way." When we decided to start trying to get pregnant we knew we wanted a family. We felt like our homes (remember we move a lot) would be more homey if a family were living there rather than just 'us.'

Somedays I am definitely overwhelmed at all the ways things are going to change. But then I remember that I know very few people (none) who would ever tell me that they regretted HAVING a child. Our world will be shaken up, but it will expend exponentially in love.

I wonder what sorts of traditions we'll have that our child will remember. I wonder what sort of routine we'll find to be our framework of stability.

And somedays I just wonder whether it'll be a girl or boy, what color eyes baby will have, what color hair, how small or large baby will be. And on those good days, I think more about rocking chairs than diaper pails. More about snuggling baby close, than 2 a.m. feedings. And I remember that it will be those things that I'll remember and treasure up in my heart as this little one gets older (all too fast).

I can't wait to see the kind of daddy Andy will be, or to see what sort of mommy I can be. I can't wait to remember childlikeness together as we experience the discovery of the world with our child.

Yes, I like to be in the family way. I'm glad we have a family.

No comments: