Saturday, December 04, 2004

Re-connecting

Tonight a friend of ours from college came to visit. In some colassal fluke of coincidence Lori happens to be seriously dating a sailor stationed not far from here, and she was visiting this weekend. She called this morning and we had them both over for pizza tonight.

I cannot even express how very wonderful it was to have company... and to be with someone who knew my name before I was a Navy wife. On top of that, she and her wonderful boyfriend both still fully understood the challenges involved with the lifestyle of a Navy family. We sat and talked and swapped stories for five hours.

It felt SOO good to reconnect with someone--to be able to talk about college, the baby, our work situations, her boyfriend's deployment experiences, things from closer to home (first home), girly things... And, it felt delightful to be KNOWN. It was a great to get to know Lori's boyfriend as well. He's an individual who is very inquisitive because he genuinely wants to learn about people. We were very happy to meet him!

It was good for Andy and Nick (Lori's fellow) as well, I believe. They were both able to talk about the struggles of being a sailor who doesn't fit the typical sailor stereotype. (I.E.--They don't drink and carouse. They'd rather be family men with integrity and devotion to God, than to tour the bars of the world and worship the toilet deity on a regular basis). They were able to relate and encourage one another a bit, I think. Now they both know they're not the only weirdos out there!!!

There is something that is just so... needed and life-giving in connecting and reconnecting with others. I am so grateful. Part of me wonders if it's a God thing... I don't get God these days... I don't know how he works in our lives. But maybe, just maybe, He is involved down to a level where He would care enough to encourage me at a time that a bit of encouragement might be needed. Is he somehow responsible for our sudden flourishing social life, and the opportunities that are popping up everywhere for me to reconnect with old friends right now? I don't know, but I think I will choose to be grateful regardless.

Another fun thing about today--It was Christmas Tree day!!! (Yes, I am feeling far less Bah-humbuggy). Andy and I put up the tree and our Christmasy decorations. We have quite a few ornaments for only being married one year and 5 months. My favorite thing about Christmas ornaments is the stories behind all of them. Except for the silver and red balls we have, each ornament is special to us for one reason or another. Every year when I put up the tree I get to remember why!

Incidentally, Chester is rather pleased with the tree as well... Lots of new ways to get into trouble, and lots of new hanging things to play with! The stinker!!! He did have some trauma as the tree was going up when he was attacked by a dangerous duct-tape monster. It stuck to his foot and no matter how much he ran around the living room, it wouldn't come off. I had to cut it off with scissors it was so stuck! Poor guy. He is sure to enjoy the Christmas Season and the veritable wonderland of mischief the tree provides despite his time of trauma.

No comments: