Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Quote

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."--Martin Luther King Jr.

It's funny... I can see (and have seen in my life) this quote going a couple ways. I can see the silence of our friends mattering because though they said little, they came alongside us and wordlessly walked the path with us through goods, and especially bad. That can be a balm of comfort on a weary day.

On the other hand... I can see remembering the silence of friends at times when you needed to know that you had been heard, or that you were thought of and cared about and instead you got silence. This can be a kick in the gut on a weary day.

I must admit, the first interpretation is much more enjoyable experientially.


1 comment:

Hope said...

Hey ragwife - this is my way of saying I am not silent! Hope this year is one of great joy for you.