Sunday, August 21, 2005

A Date!!!

Today was SUCH a good day. We went on a date! It's the first date we've been on since Carolyn was born. That sounds really pathetic, I know. With everything that's gone on in the last five months it just wasn't feesible. There was settling in with a baby, me being sick, and how many trips to Illinois and back now? When Andy and I were together it just never worked out.

A friend at church has been begging to babysit, so we took her up on her offer this afternoon and went on a real life, bonafide, date.

We went to KFC and got chicken and such and had a picnic. We had a typical us moment when we realized KFC had failed to give us forks or napkins... That made it difficult to eat our coleslaw and mac-n-cheese, and complimentary cake, but we overcame with our resourcefulness. We went back to a beach we visited a few weeks ago and explored some of the trails there, and then, of course there was ice cream!!!

I was nervous about Carolyn. Save a few trips to the grocery store or to do errands she hasn't been away from both of us very much at all. And when I have left her with someone for a few minutes I usually came back to a frantic child. Today she was a champ. She LOVED playing with Sue and we came back to a happy little girl who seemed very pleased with herself.

It was just so wonderful to focus on 'the two of us' for a couple of hours. Of course we were anxious to get back to our little girl, but that time away was just what it should have been--refreshing and connecting. I again proved that skirts don't slow me down and I was pretty proud of myself for scrambling up and down trails and over logs, and through piles of driftwood. Andy was impressed too.

It was special too because we're almost to the end of our bonus days. It was a day to treasure up and soak in so that we can come back to it again and again during our time away from one another.

And I need to tell you that I love my husband. He is an amazing man. I am so grateful for him.

No comments: