Sunday, February 13, 2005

Showers of Blessing

When I first got pregnant and realized the timing with our relocation, I was a little sad because I didn't think I would be able to have any baby showers. As it turned out, my friends and family all over more than came through for me.

Nonetheless, because of the location of much of my support group, I have been worrying about post-partum things... Especially as it is looking more and more like Andy will leave soon after baby girl arrives. How soon after really depends on baby girl. I have been fretting over who I might be able to call on to help. I have made one very good friend here, and we do churchy things... but mostly we have a lot of acquaintences.

And then... Charlotte called last Sunday. And I found out my Bible Study group and the Sunday School teachers were throwing me another shower. I was really suprised and felt a little awkward about it. But... I went today and was just SO blessed.

Here I was, for the first time in my whole nine months really, surrounded by Mom's. Some were Mom's with grown children, and some had little ones not very old at all. Many of them were Navy wives or former Navy wives. I got to hear about births in Hawaii, and Japan, and... Nevada (pretty exotic, eh?). But all of their eyes sparkled when they talked about their kids and their birth experiences, and they all told me that when it was all said and done, the nine months and the 'fun' of labor would be worth it.

On top of that, people mentioned making meals for us, and helping in whatever capacity possible. One person, who I've mentioned here before (She's the one who talked about how wonderful being a mom is even though she thought pregnancy was awful sometimes), was sure to give me her number to use any time I needed.

Then I came home, and called a lady here whose husband has been dealing with a spot on his pancreas. I wanted to see if there was anything THEY needed. While there wasn't now, she promised to call if/when there was something we could, and expressed her want to be an 'auntie' to our little one. Hehehe...

Looks like I might have some help afterall! I imagine it will still feel awkward to ask for it... but at least I have some idea of where to go, and an inkling of who will be 'safe' to ask for help. That brings me some much needed peace of mind tonight.

And now... I shall go continue trying to muster up my nesting instinct. The house has turned into chaos this weekend, and there's a baby to get ready for!

1 comment:

Tracie said...

I am so happy you found support around you! It brings tears to my eyes.