Thursday, October 27, 2005

St. Ignatius says

"There are very few people who realize what God would make of them if they abandoned themselves into his hands, and let themselves be formed by his grace." --St. Ignatius

I read that today over at the Sacred Space website. It's a very good quote for today. Most of the time I really suck at abandoning myself to much of anything. Lately, I feel like I have to have to be white-knuckling all aspects of my life in order to ensure that nothing gets dropped, and that Carolyn and I make it out of this season alive and not insane.

Today, I did some abandoning. I did a really scary, terrifying thing....

I asked for help.

God's grace is so trustworthy. It's always there. I can run away, or ignore, or flail and scream and kick, and it's still just there...

That doesn't mean God isn't big and powerful and couldn't snuff me out like a candle anytime he chooses. I know that is true as well.

But even so... He is good.

Maybe I need to work on abandoning myself into his hands, and letting myself be formed by his grace. The abandoning part today was scary as hell. But... it was good. Good like God is. Good because God is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I need to work on abandoning myself into his hands, and letting myself be formed by his grace. The abandoning part today was scary as hell. But... it was good. Good like God is. Good because God is.

This is going on my frig today and the bathroom mirror:)

Love you sweetie
You always have a way of helping me see the truth

Gracie

gingrpchy said...

I realize this is going to sound very McPeckian, but I think if we abandoned ourselves to God in such a way, we would find that we become more and more like our TRUE selves rather than something other than ourselves. Freeing ourselves to find out who we are is scary.