Thursday, September 15, 2005

Updates and Rambles

Ok, so I must admit that one of the biggest reasons I'm writing this post is that I just couldn't stand the fact that my over-sized photos mussed up the nice format here. I could resize the pictures and try again, but I'm on turtle computer, and I've been playing with them for two hours already.

So I'll tell you about things around here. The last couple of days have been really lovely for a few reasons, the biggest being that Andy is in port somewhere out there and has been able to call. He has been able to see some spectacular things: cathedrals, castles, really old houses... and I must tell you that I am so proud of my husband and the way he handles himself around folks who are doing things that we find to be a bit questionable. His honor and integrity got my attention way back before we were dating, and it makes me proud to be his wife today.

So far, I'm handling the deployment pretty darn well. In fact, I've decided essentially that there is no point in half-living even though my 'other half' isn't here. So... I'm doing what I can to enjoy each day for what it is. With a daughter as wonderful, and beautiful, and special as mine that's pretty easy. (I tell ya... Andy gets the short end of the stick on sights to see this year--The most beautiful Cathedral in the world doesn't hold a candle to Carolyn's smile). Of course there is plenty of dealing with what is in front of me as I am able to as well. With everything that I've had on my plate and that I am still processing through, that is a given. But that is part of fully living.

Today, Carolyn had her 6 month check-up and got her shots. She hadn't grown as much as I expected which worried me some, but I'm going to do the one thing I have practiced the most as a Mom--assume it's normal, and watch to be sure. She weighs 16 lbs. 10 oz. and is 25.5 inches long. I figure she's working so hard doing things like wiggling constantly and crawling that it's slowed down gain a bit. She is surely healthy and happy. She hasn't suffered too much with the shots yet, but last round the day after was the doozy, so we'll see how she does.

The air was cool, and damp, and fall-like today. It made me sad and excited all at once. Sad because we are leaving the last season I had with my Mom and I find myself clinging to any and every thing that makes me feel connected to her. And excited because fall is beautiful, and I get to experience it anew through the eyes of my daughter who has never seen it before.

Yes... life is full. And hard. And Good. And I am grateful.

No comments: